Thursday, September 22, 2011

Kenya Believe It!?

During our Religious Studies class today, our prof, Dr. Lee, brought a friend to come and lead class, Dr. Omedi Ochieng.

As he walked in, the first thing that crossed my mind was "Oh! He's from Kenya (I could just tell. Don't ask...)! I hope he has an accent". Honestly.

I. Got. My. Wish.

And I have never been so attentive in class in my LIFE. I was hanging on his every word as he described his life in Kisumu, Kenya; his education at a Christian university in Nairobi; and his education at a school in Ohio where he got his Masters and Doctorate degrees; and many other interesting topics in a very thick Kenyan accent.

After class, I went to go talk with him to hear more about his life in Kenya as he suggested. He asked me if I had ever been to Africa and upon my telling him that I am going to Ethiopia in June or July and that I fully intend to live in either Ethiopia or Kenya post graduation as a missionary, he got very excited and asked me other questions (in his Kenyan accent, might I add). I told him that I am going to be taking Swahili (as soon as I can afford it!) and he taught me my favorite verse in Swahili (yeremia ishrini na tisa nambari kumi na moja) and complemented my pronunciation and accent.

I almost died.

Right there and then.

In case you are wondering, I fully plan to marry a Kenyan (or Ethiopian, for that matter) man. He can read Redeeming Love aloud to me. Favorite book + husband with stunning accent reading it out loud = one very happy Margie.

(You're welcome for the punny title, by the way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment