Thursday, December 1, 2011

Let's Never Do This Again

11:00 pm.

What are you generally doing at 11:00 pm? Sleeping? Studying? Writing? Reading? Watching tv? Eating?

I am generally doing homework or studying. Last night, I was doing just that; writing a paper, enjoying the wind from the open window bringing in cool air, and listening to Christmas music with my roommate and our friend across the hall, Chloe.

My other roommate had just spilled water all over my desk and I was mopping it up. Suddenly, Chloe said she smelled something burning. The three of us, being concerned that some spilled water had gotten into my outlet or my power-strip, quickly turned off all the electrical things and pulled out flashlights to investigate what was happening.

After a little bit, the smokey smell went away, we turned back on the power, and continued about our business. Shortly after doing that, the smell came back! Chloe and I redid the unplugging and turning off and Meg went to find our RA.

Meg returned very quickly and said she smelled it everywhere. As we had just been coming to the conclusion that the wind was bringing in the burning smell, the fire alarms went off and chaos was unleashed: girls screaming, crying and grabbing their phones and computers; our RD shouting that this was not a drill and to get down to the gym as fast as possible; RAs counting their residents; people regretting things that they did not grab; everybody's ears ringing from the fire alarm; and plenty of panic to go around. Everybody (especially the seniors, I am sure, since they were here for it) was thinking about the Tea Fires that had destroyed the hills behind Westmont, burnt down some of one of the dorms, charred many trees, and was very scary.

Soon after getting to the gym, completing roll call, and praying, a voice spoke over the loudspeaker "A home is fully burning about Page Hall (my dorm, you know). Given the high winds, Montecito Fire Department has asked all the students to go to the gym until the situation is assessed and stabilized. Further announcements will be made there. Students will remain in the gym for a minimum of two hours." Apparently, some moron was playing with firecrackers (we could hear them earlier) and the house caught on fire.

As a giant "Ugh!" echoed across the gym, even more freshman girls burst into tears.

My darling friend Elaine and I were chatting nervously about some kind of cat to stop thinking about the fire.

After about only forty five minutes, the loudspeaker voice spoke again: "The fire has been contained. Montecito Fire Department has suggested that all students return to their dorms but be ready to leave immediately if necessary." Instantly, cheers broke out throughout the gym as people rushed back to their dorms and other stood shakily up to slowly, cautiously creep back up the hill.

The alarms remained blaring extraordinarily loudly, so although we were allowed back into our dorms, most people remained huddled outside the dorm for about another hour until the alarm died down and was shut off. Every now and then, it would go off and people would freak out, but for the most part, many hearts began to slow and pills were popped to tend to the headaches from the noise.

At about 3:30, I finally was getting ready for my 8:00 class the next morning (or the same day, actually) and climbing into bed. My ears were still ringing from the alarm and I could hear alarms from the other non-dorm halls alerting everybody and yet nobody that there was a fire and to get out. They finally shut off at about 5:00 and I could sleep for about two hours before it was time to get up again.

So, that was my night/early morning. I am exhausted.

I experienced it. I remember it. I hated it.

Let's never do this again.

2 comments:

  1. Yowza! Quite a pitter-patter event! But, that's Montecito!!! (Wish I were there right now taking you out for ice cream. You need it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are ok! Quite the event!

    ReplyDelete