Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Doctor is In

I did a very bad thing. It wasn't my fault, I swear. Netfllix told me to do it.

I have fallen prey to the world of Doctor Who. The program that (re)started in 2005, not the one from 1963, although that one is brilliant too!


This is very bad. Very very. New TV obsessions are always bad (I already have way too many programs I already watch--Sherlock, Parenthood, Once Upon a Time, and How I Met Your Mother are the current ones) and it plays off my love for all things British. Also, it's super nerdy and wonderful.

Although, the first five or so episodes are lame, the show gets so FREAKING good, I can barely stand it. 

Basically, do yourself a favour and watch Doctor Who. It's on Netflix. Do it!! And then we can rant and rave about it.

(WARNING: for those who haven't watched it yet, go away...now. Spoilers ahead.)

These are my thoughts about the program and its characters.

Chris Eccleston's Doctor--LOVE his attitude. I was crushed when he had to regenerate.

Rose Tyler: Okay, this chick. I love this chick. She's smart and pretty and funny and British. I love her accent; I love her relationship with the Doctor(s); I love her passion; I love her wit. When she got left in the parallel universe the first time, I was so mad and so sad. I liked her so much! And then when she came back! Oh, when she came back! I almost cried! Rose! And the (human) Doctor! Despite my still wanting her to be on the show, I felt like they had her leave the show very well. She and the (human) Doctor. The way it should be.

David Tennant's Doctor: Initially, I really didn't like him. All I saw was Barty Crouch Jr. from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I couldn't see an evil murderer being the Doctor that I had come to love. And then it all changed. Now I cannot watch Harry Potter without freaking out about my Doctor! I love this fellow so much it's pretty darn ridiculous. He can come ask me to travel with him any day. He's cute, he's funny, he's sarcastic, and he has an amazing and unique relationship with each of his companions. He is definitely my favourite Doctor. I really really like this guy. I am very glad that he lasted as long as he did although he definitely could have been on the show longer. 

Martha Jones: Unfortunately for this character, she was introduced right after Rose had been sent to the parallel universe and I was still very upset and couldn't accept anyone as the new companion. She eventually grew on me. but I never really loved her.

Donna Noble: Again, we were still relatively post-Rose. I was still super sad. I have the tendency to get very attached to characters (Sherlock, for example. Love that guy). She too, eventually grew on me. I liked that they had someone as the Doctor's companion who wasn't necessarily the most gorgeous actress on the face of the planet. I liked her saucy attitude and her self confidence. It also tickled me that she would never listen to the Doctor.

(At this point, it should be said that I am only eight episodes into the fifth season, so I am barely familiar with the new characters, but will get there (very) quickly and do a subsequent post reflecting on the current characters)

River Song: I really like this chick from what I've seen. She's mysterious and a little bit on a know-it-all. I think she's funny and am excited to get to know her more. ALSO, let it be said now as this is a very appropriate place to put this, NO SPOILERS, people!! I'm not current yet!

Matt Smith's Doctor: No. Just no. Nonononononono. I think his hair is decent (although Tennant's was 1000% better) and his bow-tie is "cool" (I like bow-ties, thank you very much), but beyond that--no. I don't like his attitude very much at all. I don't like his attempts to be funny. He seems like a bumbling idiot wielding a sonic screwdriver and manning a TARDIS who's trying to be the Doctor. Sorry but no. Go away. Bring me back David Tennant.

Amy Pond: Not bad. She's kind of growing on me a tiny bit though. I love her accent. I don't like the sexual tension between her and the Doctor though. There is a big difference between Tennant's Doctor and Rose's romantic tension and the sexual tension between Pond and Smith.

So there. Those are my thoughts. I would love to hear your feedback and thoughts, but, as Professor Song would say, NO SPOILERS. I just watched the dream vs. reality episode. So there. No spoilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment