Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I am 16 Going on 17

Tomorrow is my birthday. I will be 17.

In addition to a new age, something else will be new this year--how I celebrate my birthday.

Before: I'd wake up with a family member bouncing on my bed, whether that be my dog or a human family member, I don't know. It changes.
Now: My alarm on my iPhone screams "WAKE UP!! Time for your 8:00 class! Get moving!".

Before: I'd sit down to a delicious breakfast prepared by one of my parents. I could even request something.
Now: The Dining Commons. Good old cereal.

Before: We'd go do something fun for the whole day--Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, San Diego Zoo, the Getty, etc.
Now: Classes until late afternoon and my Disneyland pass expired.

Before: Family dinner complete with birthday cake, ice cream of my choice, presents, and singing.
Now: The DC. Good ol' meatloaf.

Before: Bedtime at a reasonable hour after dessert.
Now: Bedtime whenever I want after I watch an R rated movie, of course. 'Cause I can.

Before: I'd pretty much be queen for the day.
Now: Professors always reign supreme.

Before: I could do almost anything I wanted.
Now: I could do the same, but my grades would suffer badly.

Before: I was under my parents' wings.
Now: I'm flying (close to--not paying for very much) solo.

Will I do something fun? I hope so! But studying for those exams on Friday comes first.

In case you are wondering, I will blow out candles. Imaginary ones--no candles allowed on campus. My wish will probably be this: Good grades and that people will stop "YOU'RE HOW OLD!?"ing when someone tells them my age (I stopped this about the first hour at Westmont. The first time it's SO much fun to get that reaction, but by the 100th time, I'm done.)

I'm not complaining, it's just a new and foreign phase of my life. The phase in which one transfers into the life of a grown adult. But that's for next year--the adultness. And I definitely have already planned my 18th birthday.

2 comments:

  1. Took Evangeline to lunch today for a (late) bday date... and thought so much of you and our dates from age 3 to last yr. I miss you! I loved this blog. HB my darling. Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can blow out the candles that i drew on your birthday card i made you :)

    ReplyDelete